As Spring Winds Sweep the Earth Clean, We Too Need a Good Sweeping Out.
Spring’s rigorous and spirited energy has certainly begun its dance. We are talking about the ‘major’ uplifting energy needed to crack a seed and bloom it into a budding plant. It is time for growth and expansion. Change is happening right now, in a big way.
It would be an amazing experiment to witness the changes Spring's energy creates every day. For instance, if you were to scoop up some soil from the ground today, and then each day until say May 21, it would be remarkable to observe the it metamorphoses from contracted, dense, dry, and brittle earth into moist, malleable, fragrant dirt; pulsating with insects and juicy vegetation of all kinds.
This rigorous, powerful energy that transforms soil back into fertile ground, is the same energy that is around us and within us. It longs to till our own inner-soil and to nurture and propagate our wellness and radiance, moving us along, away from what weighs us down and limits us and towards new creation, new vibrancy, and new fresh life.
Here are a few step-by-step cleaning routines to make sure you are moving along with spring:
A disclaimer: Beware of herbs, pills, powders, teas, trendy fasts and diets that claim to "cleanse the colon," "purify the blood," "clarify the mind," and "flush out toxins." While some users might find these programs helpful to support good health, many of these options can be very harmful. I feel strongly that it is NEVER wise to make any extreme sudden changes in your diet or take anything without the professional guidance of a doctor. Instead, I encourage you to develop a simple balanced approach to cleansing your body. You don't need to spend money on magic potions. These simple changes can make a dramatic difference in your energy level, mental clarity, moods, and weight.
- Start each day with warm water and lemon. Drink at least 8 glasses a day.
- Eat smaller, healthier portions more often during the day. (3 small meals and 2 light snacks.)
- Eat fresh food. Eliminate prepackaged, canned and frozen foods.
- Eat 3 servings of fruit and at least 5 servings of vegetables. Try to stick with fresh organic produce. Broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, beets, kale, lemon, cranberries, pears and apples are particularly effective at promoting the natural detoxification process.
- Add warming spices and detoxifying herbs to your meals, salads, or tea. To help with digestion, elimination, and purification use ginger, black pepper, cloves, cinnamon, turmeric or cardamom. For herbs try Dandelion, Parsley or Peppermint.
- Add Omega-3 oils (fresh oily fish, flaxseeds, walnuts, linseeds, flaxseeds, pumpkins seeds, dark leafy greens) to help balance the body and mental function.
- Enjoy steamed brown rice, Quinoa, or whole grains instead of bread, pasta, and white rice.
- Limit saturated fats, dairy products, and red meat. They slow your digestion.
- Limit sugar. It suppresses the immune system, damages the digestive track, creates mood swings and causes much more damage than good.
- Most importantly, don't starve yourself! Your body will react by saving up excess fat, instead of letting you burn it off. This will only keep the toxins inside.