Spring’s rigorous and spirited energy has certainly begun its dance. We are talking about the ‘major’ uplifting energy needed to crack a seed and bloom it into a budding plant. It is time for growth and expansion. Change is happening right now, in a big way.
It would be an amazing experiment to witness the changes Spring's energy creates every day. For instance, if you were to scoop up some soil from the ground today, and then each day until say May 21, it would be remarkable to observe the it metamorphoses from contracted, dense, dry, and brittle earth into moist, malleable, fragrant dirt; pulsating with insects and juicy vegetation of all kinds.
This rigorous, powerful energy that transforms soil back into fertile ground, is the same energy that is around us and within us. It longs to till our own inner-soil and to nurture and propagate our wellness and radiance, moving us along, away from what weighs us down and limits us and towards new creation, new vibrancy, and new fresh life.
Here Are 7 Ways To Make Sure You Are Moving Along With Spring:
1. MAGIC ISN'T IN THE BOTTLE: Beware of herbs, pills, powders, teas, trendy fasts and diets that claim to "cleanse the colon," "purify the blood," "clarify the mind," and "flush out toxins." While some users might find these programs helpful to support good health, many of these options can be very harmful. I feel strongly that it is NEVER wise to make any extreme sudden changes in your diet or take anything without the professional guidance of a doctor. Instead, I encourage you to develop a simple balanced approach to cleansing your body. You don't need to spend money on magic potions. Simple changes can make a dramatic difference in your energy level, mental clarity, moods, and weight.
2. WATCH YOUR TONGUE: Use a tongue scraper first thing in the morning. Ayurveda recommends tongue scraping to rid the body of bacteria, aid digestion, and promote oral health. Digestion begins in the mouth as saliva mixes with the food and breaks it down. An excessively thick coating indicates the presence of toxins in the digestive system. Here's how to use a tongue scraper from MindBodyGreen.
3. SLOUGH IT OFF: The skin is one of the main elimination channels along with the kidneys, liver, and colon. Ayurveda has long promoted dry brushing to help rid the body of toxins. Dry skin brushing helps to increase blood circulation and assist the lymphatic system. Personalize your Skin Brushing with this article from Yoga Journal.
4. ADD HYDRATION AND LUBRICATION: Start each day with warm water and lemon. Add Omega-3 oils (fresh oily fish, flaxseeds, walnuts, linseeds, flaxseeds, pumpkins seeds, dark leafy greens) to help balance the body and mental function.
5. KEEP IT SMALL: Eat smaller, healthier portions more often during the day (3 small meals and 2 light snacks). Limit saturated fats, dairy products, and red meat. They slow your digestion. Limit sugar. It suppresses the immune system, damages the digestive track, creates mood swings and causes much more damage than good. Read more tips to adjust your Spring diet for a cleaner lighter body and mind.
6. LET IT GO: With Relaxmore. My 20-minute guided relaxation is perfect to help let go of the "stuff" and open into the new! Remember that if you are looking to ‘eliminate’ to ‘digest’ you need to have your nervous system in the state of 'Rest and Digest'. In other words, rest and relaxation are mandatory in the elimination process. Read more about Relaxmore or purchase today.
7. GET OUT: Keep in mind that while this is an inspiring time of year, Spring can bring on some serious turbulent energy. It is a time of great change, release, and renewal. During these times of transformation being out in nature can help you feel centered and make the transition easier. Walking through the park or woods, digging in the dirt and breathing in the fresh spring air are a few simple ways to harmonize with spring’s energy.
KEEP IT SIMPLE TO CREATE SUSTAINABLE CHANGES: Keep in mind, you don't have to adapt all 7 of these practices at once. You can incorporate one per week during the next 7 weeks of spring, helping to make your detox routine easier to stick to and ensuring you are making more sustainable changes through out the entire year.