Spring is ruled by the organs of liver and gallbladder, our main organs for cleansing and processing toxins. Our liver processes allergens that come from pollen and pollution, but if our liver is taxed, it has a hard time working as smoothly. It's time to give these organs a little break. Think of it like an oil change for your body.
DO IT NOW
“A year from now you will wish you had started today.”
— Karen Lamb
CLEANSING FOODS TO SUPPORT YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM, THE SEASONAL SHIFT, AND A POSITIVE DISPOSITION:
- Beets: support detoxification in the intestines, blood and liver.
- Lemon and orange peels: aid liver in neutralizing carcinogens – and lifts moods!
- Radicchio, escarole, endive: help release of toxins from GI track
- Cauliflower, cabbage, and broccoli: help liver detoxify chemicals, drugs, pollutants
- Oatmeal, apples, pears, strawberries, peas, beans, provide soluble fiber to soak up toxins in the intestine.
- Add bitters, sours and astringent. Bitter veggies (arugula, mustard greens, dandelion greens) may help if you have allergies as they support the liver and gallbladder, helping to cleanse the system.
- Add warming spices and detoxifying herbs to your meals, salads, or tea. To help with digestion, elimination, and purification use ginger, black pepper, cloves, cinnamon, turmeric or cardamom.
- Consider cutting back on sugar, alcohol, dairy, caffeine, cooked oils and red meat for a few weeks to give your body an extra break.
- Most importantly, don't starve yourself! Your body will react by saving up excess fat, instead of letting you burn it off. This will only keep the toxins inside.
A Chinese medicine approach to staying well in spring: http://straightbamboo.com/how-to-stay-healthy-in-spring/